The most important thing you can do to help combat theft, burglary and all crimes is to CALL THE POLICE. Report crimes and suspicious activity by calling Dispatch at (763) 689-2141.
Please make the call, report crimes and suspicious activity!
If you ever question whether or not to make a call, the answer is always yes. The Police Department counts on you to make these reports and help us reduce crimes like vehicle theft, burglaries and vandalism.
TIPS: Prevent Theft from Vehicles
- Always lock your vehicle
- Keep valuables out of your vehicle or at least out of plain view by placing them in the trunk
- Take your purse/wallet with you. Suspects will use victims credit/debit cards
- Do not leave your windows down (even slightly)
- Keep your vehicle locked, even for a few seconds (when out shopping, dropping off kids, etc.)
- Unload your valuables immediately upon returning home
- Don't leave valuable items in your vehicle overnight
- Park in a well-lit area
- Always secure your vehicle even when parked in your driveway
- Set your car alarm or anti-theft device when not in use
- Work trucks and vans should not be left with tools inside the bed, camper or cargo area. These are easy targets for theft
- Carry registration and insurance cards with you, don't leave them inside your vehicle
TIPS: Prevent Garage Theft/Burglary
- Keep your garage door closed as much as possible, this will help ensure it's closed at night and prevent others from seeing valuables inside
- Keep the exterior of your garage well lit, unlit areas give criminals a place to hide when stealing from you
- Cover garage door windows to prevent criminals from looking inside for valuables
- Install a security system in your home and garage if possible
- Keep garage remotes and keys inside your home, instead of the garage or vehicle