Running for City Council
Have you ever thought of becoming a City Councilmember? Councilmembers are the legislative body for the City and set the City's mission, vision, and values. The Council adopts ordinances, approves development, and sets the City's budget, long range capital plan, and annual levy (taxes). Councilmembers review street improvement plans as well as plans to improve the Cambridge Municipal Airport and Northbound Liquor. City staff manage the day to day activities of the City along with policy and ordinance implementation.
City Councilmembers are elected by the residents of Cambridge.Qualifications to serve are:
Eligible to vote in Minnesota;
You have not filed for the same or any other office at the upcoming primary or general election;
You are, or will be on assuming office, 21 years of age or more; and
You have maintained residence in this district for at least 30 days before the general election.
You meet any other qualifications for this office as prescribed by law
Interested persons need to file an affidavit of candidacy for office beginning on May 19, 2020. The filing period ends at 5:00 pm on June 2, 2020. Two council seats are up for election in 2020. Filing fee is $15.00. A candidate can file:
- in person at City Hall
- by mail - return the form and filing fee to 300 3rd Ave NE, Cambridge, MN 55008
- by fax - fax the form to 763-689-6801 and mail in your $15 filing fee prior to the June 2 deadline
- by email - email the form to email@example.com and mail in your $15 filing fee prior to the June 2 deadline
Precinct 1 covers all properties that are north of Highway 95 and all properties west of the railroad tracks. This covers the neighborhoods of Goldenwood, Pine Village, Heritage Greens, High school area, primary school area, downtown area, West Oaks, and properties north of City Hall.
For more details click on the Precinct Map
Precinct 1 voters vote at the Cambridge Fire Department located at 300 3rd Avenue NE.
Precinct 2 covers all properties that are east of the railroad tracks and then south of Highway 95. Neighborhoods in this area are Parkwood on the Lakes, Yerigan Farms, Bridgewater, Roosevelt Gardens, The Preserve, Joe's Lake, Town Square Apartments, etc.
See the precinct map for more detail.
Precinct 2 voters vote at Cambridge City Hall, 300 3rd Avenue NE
Eligibility for Voting
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Must be a citizen of the United States
- Must have been a Minnesota Resident for at least 20 days prior to election
Already registered? Check or verify your voter registration status online.
Voting is faster and easier if all your information is up to date. Update your voter registration information at least 21 days prior to an election, which automatically updates election roster books. You can update or register to vote on the Secretary of State's website.
To register on Election day, any one of the following are accepted as identification:
- A valid Minnesota driver's license or permit with current address
- A valid Minnesota identification card with current address
- A valid student identification with a photo and current address
If your photo ID does not contain a valid current address within the precinct, you may use a document from each bullet point list below:
- An original gas, electric, telephone, cellular, cable, garbage, water or sewer bill showing your current address and due up to 30 days before or after election day
- Your Minnesota's driver's license or Identification card, U.S. passport, U.S. military identification card with your photo or Minnesota post-secondary student identification card with your photo.